News:

Welcome to the Home Network Guy forum!

Main Menu

OpnSense Howto Updates?

Started by Ruok2bu, May 28, 2021, 05:09:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruok2bu

A lot of the guides are referring to functions that have been changed in newest version of OpnSense and its confusing to follow them as a newbie.

For example, the rules dont specify if IN or OUT should be used for direction.

Can you update them?

Home Network Guy

Thanks for the suggestion! The default direction is "in" for firewall rules and is what most users will want to use because it processes more efficiently and is likely easier to think about how to write the rules. When I specify settings for the rules, I usually leave out the values that should be left at the default (so I don't have to list 50 data elements and their values). However, I could make mention that you should usually leave that at the default.

I have been slowly working through my old guides and updating them. I've updated the following guides in the last few months: firewall rule cheat sheet, the Sensei Free vs. Home Edition comparison, how to configure WireGuard, and redirecting local DNS requests. Next on my list to update is the intrusion detection how-to since I know it's out of date. I'm trying to mix in new content in between updating the old content.