News:

Welcome to the Home Network Guy forum!

Main Menu

IPv6 Confirmation

Started by Shaggy, October 17, 2021, 02:32:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shaggy

While reading through the IPv6 page, I noticed it's written that it's unclear if Android devices use IPv6. I wanted to confirm that IPv6 does work on my personal+work phone and tablet as I have IPv6 addresses.

Link to article mentioning: https://homenetworkguy.com/how-to/configure-ipv6-opnsense-with-isp-such-as-comcast-xfinity/

Home Network Guy

Thanks for the info! Does it obtain IPv6 via DHCPv6 or SLAAC? I think it was DHCPv6 support that was lacking in many Android devices (at least in the past when I was reading about it elsewhere on the web). That is why I mentioned enabling "assisted" mode since it will allow both DHCPv6 and SLAAC to assign IPv6 addresses so even the Android devices that don't support DHCPv6 should still obtain an IPv6 address. I wanted to make sure the guide would work for such devices which means you can't use DHCPv6 only.

Shaggy

Your welcome, thank you for responding back.

I am mistaken, I tested connectivity on a non OPNSense router. I will be able to test IPv6 connectivity after I have configured my VLANs.

Home Network Guy

No problem! Please report back since others may be interested in that info. I only have one Android tablet I could test with.

Shaggy

Quote from: Home Network Guy on October 17, 2021, 04:03:43 PM
No problem! Please report back since others may be interested in that info. I only have one Android tablet I could test with.
Screenshot is of my Pixel 5 being connected to the Wi-Fi network using DHCPv6.

Update:
I noticed I am currently only getting a IPv6 Address that is either for LAN or Loop Back.
Could this be a loopback address?

Shaggy

Just wanted to give a full update on where I'm at. I dug further and tried following the guide but with no luck, IPv6 for devices is not working.

-WAN uses DHCP6.
-I switched my LAN interface to use a Track Interface (can only select Prefix 0).
-I created the WAN rule requested for All:547 -> All:546.

What I have noticed is the the dhcpcd service is not running. I sadly don't have the skill to troubleshoot this issue any further.

Would you be able to point me in the right direction of how I could troubleshoot this issue?
I would like to add that the OPNSense Firewall is behind another Gateway:
Rented Modem -> OPNSense -> Switch -> Device

Home Network Guy

Sorry I didn't see this sooner. I think sometimes subsequent comments are not always emailed to me to reduce the number of email notifications.

I don't know if the track interface will work behind another firewall unless you can somehow use delegated prefixes from the other router you have on your network. The ISP provided modem/router is not always the most feature rich. They seem to only have the most basic features available for you to manipulate (hence why OPNsense/pfSense is awesome). My guide was written as OPNsense being the main router. When you run OPNsense behind another router, it complicates the set up and you may not have all features available to you or you have to go about configuring them differently because you are now on a network that's behind another network. Having OPNsense as your main top level router enables you do more since it's the main entry point into your network.

I know we have had some discussions on Twitter, but I wanted to reply for others to see.